Department Extension Leader
Watershed, Soil Fertility and Nutrient Management
2229 Williams Hall
Campus Box 7620
North Carolina State University
Raleigh, North Carolina 27695-7620
Office Phone: 919.515.7303
Specialty: Soil Fertility, Nutrient Management, Conservation Practices and Water Quality
Research is focused on agricultural production, reduction of agricultural pollutants through the use of conservation practices including riparian buffers and the development of decision support systems that both function at the watershed-scale and are applicable to field-scale soil fertility issues. These systems are designed to allow maximum user flexibility, yet to provide reliable information and answers.
Ph.D., Agronomy 1991, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY.
M.S., Soil Science 1979, NC State University, Raleigh, NC.
B.S., Agronomy and Anthropology, 1975, Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS.
July 2005 – present: Professor and Soil Science Department Extension Leader, Department of Soil Science, NC State University, Raleigh, NC.
June 2002 – June 2005: Associate Professor and Soil Science Department Extension Leader, Department of Soil Science, NC State University, Raleigh, NC.
May 2000 – May 2002: Associate Professor and Soil Science Extension Specialist, Department of Soil Science, NC State University, Raleigh, NC.
May 1997 – April 2000: Assistant Professor and Soil Science Extension Specialist, Department of Soil Science, NC State University, Raleigh, NC.
Feb 1993 – April 1997: Water Quality Extension Specialist, Water Quality Group, Department of Biological & Agricultural Engineering, NC State University, Raleigh, NC.
May 1981 – May 1983: Agricultural Project Officer, United States Agency for International Development, Zaire, Africa.
Mar 1979 – May 1980: Research Associate, Soil Science Department, NC State University, Raleigh, NC.
Scholarly and creative activities
- Book and Book Chapters 22
- Refereed Journal Articles 64
- Referred Proceedings 18
- Invited Presentations 129
- Volunteered Presentations, (including posters) 216
- Extension publications and slide sets 71
- Technical Reports 63
- Extension Training 114
- Software 9
- Web site (WATERSHEDSS) 1
- Grants (>8.3M) 101
Scholarly and professional honors (selected)
- USDA-CSREES Award for Comprehensive Educational Program to Improve Water Quality in the Neuse River Basin, 2000.
- Professional Achievement Award – Water Quality, Hugh Hammond Bennett Chapter of the Soil and Water Conservation Society, 2004.
- USDA Secretary’s Award for Protecting and Enhancing the Nation’s Natural Resource base and Environment, Phosphorus Loss Assessment Tool Team, 2004.
- Academy of Outstanding Faculty Engaged in Extension (2005 Inductee), NC State University, 2005
- Agronomic Extension Education Award, American Society of Agronomy, 2006
- American Society of Agronomy Fellow, 2007
- Distinguished Service Award, Corn Growers Association of NC, 2010
- American Society of Agronomy, ASA Distinguished Service Award, ASA Division Alignment Task Force, 2011
- Soil Science Society of America Fellow, 2014
Peer Reviewed Journals and Books (selected)
- Osmond, D.L., D.LK. Hoag, A.E. Luloff, D.W. Meals, K. Neas. 2014. Farmers Use of Nutrient Management: Lessons from Watershed Case Studies. J. Environ. Qual. doi:10.2134/jeq2014.02.0091.
- Larsen, E.M., J. Grossman, J. Edgell, G. Hoyt, D. Osmond, and S. Hu. 2014. Evaluating Soil Carbon Pools and Losses in Long-term Organic and Conventional Farming Systems. Soil Tillage Res. 139:37-45.
- Woods, B.R., A.E. Luloff, D.L. Osmond, and D.L. Hoag. 2014. Towards a Synthesis: Lessons from Thirteen Cropland Watershed-scale Studies. Society & Natural Resources 27:341-357. doi:10.1080/08941920.2013.861551.
- Osmond, D.L., K. Neas, A.M. Johnson, and S.L. Cahill. 2013. Fertilizer Use in Regulated River Basins: Is It What We Think? J. Contemporary Water Res.& Educ. 151:20-26.
- Cahill, S., R. Gehl, D. Osmond, and D. Hardy. 2013. Evaluation of an Organic Copolymer Fertilizer Additive on Phosphorus Starter Fertilizer Response by Corn. Crop Management 12: doi:10.1094/CM-2013-0322-01.
- Osmond,D., D. Meals, D. Hoag, and M. Arabi. 2012. How to Build Better Agricultural Conservation Programs to Protect Water Quality: The NIFA-CEAP Experience. Soil and Water Conservation Society, Ankeny, IA.
- Osmond, D., D. Meals, D. Hoag, M. Arabi, A. Luloff, M. McFarland, G. Jennings, A. Sharpley, J. Spooner, and D. Line. 2012. Improving Conservation Practices Programming to Protect Water Quality in Agricultural Watersheds: Lessons Learned from the National Institute of Food and Agriculture Conservation Effects Assessment Project. J. Soil and Water Conserv. 67:123A-128A. doi:10.2489
- Osmond, D., M. Cabrera, A. Sharpley, C. Bolster, S. Feagley, B. Lee, C. Mitchell, R. Mylavarapu, L. Oldham, F. Walker, and H. Zhang. Osmond, D., M. Cabrera, A. Sharpley, C. Bolster, S. Feagley, B. Lee, C. Mitchell, R. Mylavarapu, L. Oldham, F. Walker, and H. Zhang. 2012. Comparing Phosphorus Indices from Twelve Southern USA States against Monitored Phosphorus Loads from Six Prior Southern Studies. J. Environ. Qual. doi:10.2134/jeq2012.0013.
- Spence, P. L., D.L. Osmond, J.L. Heitman, and W.P. Robarge. 2011. Effect of Lawn Maintenance on Nutrient Losses via Overland Flow during Natural Rainfall Events. J. American Water Res. Assoc. 48:909-924. DOI: 10.1111/j.1752-1688.2012.00658.x.
- Kang, J., A. Amoozegar, D.L. Hesterberg, and D.L. Osmond. 2011. Phosphorus Leaching In Sandy Soils as Affected by Organic and Inorganic Fertilizer Sources. Geoderma 161:194–201.
- Cahill, S.L., D.L. Osmond, R. Weisz and R. Heiniger. 2010. Evaluation of Nutrient Efficiency and Yield in Corn and Wheat. Agron. J. 102:1226-1236.
- Osmond, D., N. Nadkarni, C. Driscoll, E. Andrews, A. Gold, S. Allred, A. Berkowitz, M. Keneres, T. Loecke, M. McGarry, K. Schwarz, M. Washington, and P. Groffman. 2010. The Role of Interface Organization in Science Communication and Understanding. Front Ecol Environ 8: 306–313, doi:10.1890/090145.
- Cahill, S.L., A.M. Johnson, D.L. Osmond and D.H. Hardy. 2008. Response of Starter Fertilizer Phosphorus for Corn and Cotton Production on Soils Testing Very High for Phosphorus. Agron. J. 100:537-542.
- Osmond, D., M. Cabrera, S. Feagley, G. Hardee, C. Mitchell, P. Moore, R. Mylavarapu, J. Oldham, J. Stevens, W. Thom, F. Walker, and H. Zhang. 2006. Comparing Southern P Indices. J. Soil and Water Conser. 61:325-337.
- Smith, T.A., D.L. Osmond, and J. Wendell Gilliam. 2006. Riparian Buffer Width and Nitrate Removal in a Lagoon-Effluent Irrigated Agricultural Area. J. Soil and Water Conser. 61:273-281.
- Johnson, A.M., D.L. Osmond, and S.H. Hodges. 2005. Predicted Impacts of North Carolina’s Phosphorus Loss Assessment Tool. J. Environ. Qual. 34:1801-1810.