Dr Carl Crozier
Professor Soil Fertility
Management in the
Professor Soil Fertility Management in the Tidewater Region
Vernon G. James Research and Extension Center
207 Research Station Road
Plymouth, North Carolina 27962
Office Phone: 252.793.4428 x134
Click Here For Related Web Pages
Specialty: Soil Fertility Management in the Tidewater Region
Research interests include understanding basic aspects of soil/plant interactions in agricultural systems that might lead to more efficient fertilizer use. Specific interests include N cycling in agricultural systems, characterizing soil microenvironments, the chemistry and management of organic soils, and developing precision fertilizer management schemes.
Geographic Information Sciences
Nutrient Management – Crop Production
- SoilFacts: Winter Annual Cover Crop
- Osmond, D.L., S.C. Hodges, H.J. Kleiss, N.G. Creamer, C.R. Crozier, M.A. Cubeta, D.H. Hardy, W.R. Jester, W.G. Lord, J.R. Schulteis, R. Weisz. 2003. Tar-Pamlico River Basin Nutrient Management Education, North Carolina Cooperative Extension Service, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC.
- SoilFacts: Soil Fertility Management for Irish Potato Production in Eastern North Carolina
- Hodges, S.H., D.L. Osmond, H.J. Kleiss, N.G. Creamer, C.R. Crozier, M.A. Cubeta, W.R. Jester, J.R. Schulteis, R. Weisz. 2000. Neuse River Basin Nutrient Management Education. North Carolina Cooperative Extension Service, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC.
- C.R. Crozier, L.D. King, R.L. Mikkelsen, and R. Weisz. 1998. Fertilizer & Lime Management for Small Grains. Part II: Lime, Phosphorus, Potassium, Sulfur, Manganese, Copper, Magnesium, and Calcium. pp. 19-23 in: Small Grain Production Guide 1998. N.C. Coop. Ext. Service, AG-580, Raleigh, NC.
- SoilFacts: Ammonium Sulfate Liquor – A Potential Nitrogen Source for Crops
- SoilFacts: Reducing Drift and Odor with Wastewater Application
- Parr, M.; Grossman, J.M.; Reberg-Horton, S.C.; Brinton, C. and Crozier, C. 2011. Nitrogen fixation of legume cover crops in no-till organic corn production, Agronomy Journal 103(6), 1578-1590
- Heiniger, R., Crozier, C., Hardy, D., Walls, B. and Reich, R. 2003. Sulfur Deficiency Symptoms in Emerging Corn. Corn Kernels 5/03. N.C. State University, Extension Corn Information. Raleigh, NC.
- Cahill, S., D. Osmond, C. Crozier, D. Israel, R. Weisz. 2007. Winter wheat and maize response to urea ammonium nitrate and a new urea formaldehyde polymer fertilizer. Agron. J. 99:1645-1653.
- Williams, J.D., C.R. Crozier, J.G. White, R.P. Sripada, and D.A. Crouse. 2007. Comparison of soil nitrogen tests for corn fertilizer recommendations in the humid southeastern USA. Soil Science Society of America Journal 71: 171-180.
- Crozier, C.R., B. Walls, D.H. Hardy, and J.S. Barnes. 2004. Response of cotton to P and K Soil Fertility Gradients in North Carolina. Journal of Cotton Science
- Hong, N., J.G. White, R. Weisz, C.R. Crozier, M.L. Gumpertz, and D.K. Cassel. 2006, Remote sensing-informed variable-rate nitrogen management of wheat and corn: agronomic and groundwater outcomes. Agron. J. 98:327-338.
- Sripada, R.P., R.W. Heiniger, J.G. White, C.R. Crozier, and A.D. Meijer. 2006, Attempt to validate a remote sensing-based late-season corn nitrogen requirement prediction system. Crop Management. Online doi:10.1094/CM-2006-04XX-01-RS
- Jordan, D.L., J.S. Barnes, C.R. Bogle, T.M. Marshall, T. Corbett, C.R. Crozier, B. McLawhorn, and L. Fisher. 2005. Influence of cultural practices and crop rotation on kenaf yield in North Carolina. Crop Management.
- Weisz, R., C.R. Crozier, and R.W. Heiniger. 2001. Optimizing nitrogen application timing in no-till soft red winter wheat. Agronomy Journal 93:435-442.
- Crozier, C.R., N. G. Creamer, and M.A. Cubeta. 2000. Fertilizer management impacts on stand establishment, disease, and yield of Irish potato. Potato Research 43:49-59.
- Cubeta, M.A., Cody, B.R., Sugg, R.E., and C.R. Crozier. 2000. The influence of soil calcium, potassium, and pH on the development of leaf tipburn of cabbage in eastern North Carolina. Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis 31:259-275.
- Crozier, C.R., R.W. Heiniger, and M. Bishop. 1999. Evaluating soil compaction with an automated electronic cone penetrometer. HortTech 9:440-443.
- Crozier, C. R., L. D. King, R. J. Volk. 1998. Tracing N movement in corn production systems in the North Carolina Piedmont: a nitrogen-15 study. Agron. J. 90:171-177.
- Boustany, R.G., C.R. Crozier, and J.M. Rybczyk. 1997. Denitrification in a South Louisiana wetland forest receiving treated sewage effluent. Wetlands Ecology and Management 4:273-283.
- Crozier, C. R., I. Devai, and R. D. DeLaune. 1995. Methane and reduced sulfur gas production by fresh and dried wetland soils. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 59:277-284.
- Crozier, C.R., J.A. Nyman, and R.D. DeLaune. 1994. Symbiotic N fixation by Vigna luteola, a legume of low-salinity gulf coast marshes. Northeast Gulf Science 13: 145-147.
- Crozier, C.R., and L.D. King. 1993. Corn root dry matter and nitrogen distribution as determined by sampling multiple soil cores around individual plants. Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis 24: 1127-1138.